First EMU train ran in the country from Bombay VT to Kurla on Central Railway on 03.02.1925, heralding the era of electric traction in the country. Gradually, the services were extended to Kalyan.Thereafter, the EMU services were introduced on other zonal Railways as indicated below :
On Western Railway, the EMU services were introduced on Chruchgate – Borivali section on 05.01.1928. The services were gradually extended upto Virar.
The EMU services were introduced on meter gauge section from Madras Beach – Tambaram on 11.03.1931. On the broad gauge, the services were introduced on Madras Central – Gummidipundy section on 14.04.1979.
The EMU services were introduced on Howrah – Bandel section of Howrah Division on 01.02.1957. The services were gradually extended to Bardhaman in the year 1963. The EMU services were introduced on Sealdah Division also on Sealdah – Ranaghat Section.
South Eastern Railway
The EMU services made their debut on S.E.Railway on 01.05.1968 on Howrah– Mecheda section of Kharagpur division. In due course, the services were extended to Kharagpur / Midnapur and other sections viz. Panskura – Haldia and Santragachi – Bargachia.
The EMU services were introduced on Circular Ring Railway from Nizamuddin to Nizamuddin on 15.08.1982.
South Central Railway
The EMU services were introduced on 09.08.2003.Today, the EMU services are in operation in all the 5 Metropolitan cities viz. Bombay, Delhi, Madras, Calcutta and Hydrabad.
EMU SERVICES IN SOUTH EASTERN RAILWAY
Calcutta being a magnificent metropolitan city, Millions of commuters throng the city from far flung areas in the morning for work and return in the evening. It was planned to connect the suburbs with Calcutta by introducing fast and frequent Electric Multiple Unit trains along with electrification of Kharagpur-Howrah section. Tikiapara was an ideal location for maintenance of EMUs as it was nearest to Howrah.
The shed made a beginning when seven numbers of 4 coach units were brought from ICF & EMU services started between Howrah and Panskura on 01.05.1968. This was also the date of energisation of Howrah-Kharagpur section. In those days there were about 37 suburban trains. These trains were hauled by steam locomotives and had conventional rakes. The journey time was more. The frequency of trains was too much inadequate. The commuters breathed a sigh of relief with the introduction of Electric Multiple Unit trains.
Important additional facilities like two numbers 30/6 Tonnes EOT crane, stationary air compressor, under floor wheel lathe, baking oven etc. were provided in the Carshed in 1969. In view of the increasing holding, two additional inspection pits were added in the year 1983 along with extension of heavy lifting bay by 75 feet.
The fleet of EMU coaches got augmented in phases. The 8-car rake was introduced initially consisted of two units each comprising 3660mm stock of one motor coach, two driving trailer and one plain trailer coach each i.e in formation DT-MC-TC-DT. There were three driving cabs per unit, one at each end and the third in the MC for use in emergency. Now the unit formation is 1 MC (D) + 2TC. These services are introduced in 25KV AC traction.
In view of the increased traffic, it was decided to convert all the EMU rakes from 8 to 9-car formation during 1992-93. Today Tikiapara carshed is holding 100 motor coaches and 203 trailer coaches. 12-car rakes introduced in the year 2009 and now 6 no 12-car rakes are in service for which extension of shed is under progress. The carshed also imparts training to the Motormen, Guards, Loco Inspectors, Chief Loco Inspectors & Maintenance staffs with its locally made simulator.
There is a small Railway Colony attached to Carshed. It has 130 quarters to house essential staff. Railway Recreation Club and Health Unit situated within the colony offer recreation and medical facilities to the staff and their families.
The shed was getting loaded to its optimum capacity. Therefore, another EMU carshed was felt for reducing the load of Tikiapara Carshed.
Due to the increasing EMU fleet in S.E.Railway, there was a need to establish maintenance shed at Panskura. This shed has come up on 03.04.97 and started functioning w.e.f. 15.08.97. The shed is located near to Kharagpur and work as a satellite shed having 4 lines. Out of which 2 are pit lines, 1 is provided with washing platform and 1 is for berthing of rakes. This shed is not having Heavy Lifting facility.