SOUTH EASTERN RAILWAY
SER’s INITIATIVES TO RUN TRAINS IN FOGGY WEATHER
Kolkata, 16th November, 2019
In order to ensure Safety and Punctuality in train operations in the foggy weather during ensuing winter, South Eastern Railway has undertaken following elaborate precautionary measures: -
1. Railway Board’s detailed instructions have been circulated to all Guards and Loco Pilots to reiterate the special instructions to run trains during foggy weather.
2. During dense foggy weather, drivers (Loco Pilots) have been instructed to regulate train speed to maximum 60 km/hr. in poor visibility conditions for the safety of passengers and train movement. The speed of the train may be enhanced to 75 km/hr. provided there in fog safe device in the loco and is subject to the judgement of the Loco Pilot. The Loco Pilots have also been advised to whistle frequently to warn the nearby gateman and road users of approaching train. To enforce this measure, train running staff are being counselled by the Railway Officers & Safety Counsellors on daily basis.
3. The Guards of the trains have been instructed to watch that, the loco-pilots do not exceed the prescribed speed limit during fog. During night as well as in the thick foggy or tempestuous weather impairing visibility during day, a Red Tail Lamp displaying a flashing Red Light to indicate the last vehicle is being permitted.
4. SER has introduced Cold Weather Patrolling of railway track by deputing Winter Patrolman with proper training and Fog Signals to warn Loco Pilots and Guards about any eventuality. Specially trained Trackmen and Keymen are deployed for monitoring of the track. They are monitoring track not only at night but also in day time to attend track fracture which happen generally after midnight. Lime marking across the track at the sighting board has been done. All Signal Sighting Boards, Whistle Boards, Lifting Banners, Fog Signal Posts and busy vulnerable Level Crossing Gates which are accident prone have been painted.
5. Fog Signalman with detonators are kept ready for deployment at all appropriate locations during fogs as per prescribed rules and regulations.
6. Apart from this, surprise checks and Footplate inspections by Senior Officers of Divisions and Headquarters during late night and early morning hours i.e. from midnight to 07.00 hrs at all sensitive places have been intensified.