About the Workshop
Kharagpur Workshop was established in 1898 as a small repair workshop of Bengal Nagpur Railway. Kharagpur Workshop has evolved and grown over the years to become the largest maintenance workshop of the Indian Railways. It has the unique distinction of being the only Workshop of the Indian Railways which deals with all types of Rolling Stock viz. Coaches, EMUs, MEMUs, DEMUs, SP-ART, SP-ARME, Tower Cars, Diesel Locomotives, Electric Locomotives, Diesel Cranes and Wagons.
The Workshop also undertakes manufacture of a large number of Rolling Stock components and spares. Apart from this, Diesel POH Shop has the facilities for re-winding of traction machines, including coil manufacturing. The Supervisors Training Centre attached to this Workshop has been provided with a Simulator for training of Diesel Locomotive Drivers.
Based on the strength of its past achievements and glorious heritage, the Workshop has geared itself for facing the economic and technical challenges of the new millennium.
Workshop at a Glance
Non-gazetted (including Wagon Shop)
Area of the Workshop
Total covered Workshop area
2.8 Lakhs sq m.
Total rail track length within Workshop
Total road length inside Workshop
1207 (Including of WRS)
Average requirement of Electric Power
4.71 MWH per month.
Availability of standby power
3 DG Sets of 1750 KW each.
4.2 Lakhs Gallons per day
Total staff provided with housing
Rs. 591.63 Crores (approx.) (Debit)
Rs. 584.68 Crores (approx.) (Credit)
To exceed the quality and delivery requirements of our customer with respect to overhauling of coaches including EMU Motor and Trailer coaches, Wagons, Diesel and Electric Locomotives and their accessories and to continually improve our quality management system.
- To ensure customer satisfaction as reflected through improvement in post-overhaul reliability.
- Reduce finished material rejection by continual development of equipment, inspection, process control and competence among all staff and employees.
- Continual development of product as per customer predicted need and delight to customers through innovation.
- To achieve the quality targets established for each unit of Kharagpur Workshop.
Milestones in the History of Kharagpur Workshop
- 1898: Workshop Established
- 1903: POH of Steam Locomotives started
- 1917: POH of Wagons started.
- 1963: POH of Diesel Locomotives started.
- 1985: POH of Electric Locomotives started.
- 2004: Accredited with ISO 9001-2000 certificate.
- 2008: Re- certification of ISO 9001 -2000
- Postal address
Chief Works Manager,
South Eastern Railway Workshop,
Kharagpur, Paschim Mednipur-721301
Developed and Powered By U K Mishra, I T Centre, Kharagpur Workshop, S. E. Railway.
Copying the contents of this site without permission may invite legal action against the offender.